What are the advantages of a Roof Top Tent?The setup is extremely fast and you have way better protection from wind and water/rain. You are off the ground and the temperature is much better in the RTT. Up in the air camping allows you to get away from the creepy crawlies and the animals that swing around your campsite to say hi at 2:00am. Ground camping takes some finesse when you have to move rocks, dirt, sand and when the tent is on your vehicle all you have to do is make sure the vehicle is level. Breakdown is minutes and you are back on the road or trail to your next adventure.
Will a Tuff Stuff tent fit my vehicle?Great Question and you should always contact the manufacturer information of the vehicle to see what the weight capacity of the rack or Crossbars will hold. Look to see if the vehicle rates the Dynamic Weight Load and all of the Tuff Stuff tents have their weights and max capacity on the website specification section. If you are mounting on the back of a truck, most Overland racking systems are designed to take a roof top tent.
How much weight can each tent hold?
Each tent has its own Weight Capacity
- Trailhead Max Capacity 800 Lbs
- Ranger Max Capacity 660 Lbs
- Delta Max Capacity 660 Lbs
- Elite Max Capacity 880 Lbs
- Alpha Max Capacity 1100 Lbs
- Alpha II Max Capacity 900 Lb
How much does each Tuff Stuff tent weigh?- Trailhead 110 Lbs
- Ranger 154 Lbs
- Delta 140 Lbs
- Elite 185 Lbs
- Alpha 176 Lbs
- Alpha II 152 Lbs
How many people can fit in each Tuff Stuff tents if for example my crossbars weight limit is only 165 lbs?Most crossbars and roof racks give their dynamic weight load, which is the weight they can carry when you're driving. If your cross bars have a dynamic weight load of 110 -180 lbs., you shouldn't put anything heavier than that on your bars when you're driving. Because other forces such as wind, bumps, breaking, stress from driving condition are at work, the static weight load this is the weight limit when you are parked and is actually much higher than the dynamic weight load.
How easy are the tents to mount and unmount?Very easy! You can mount and unmount them using just one included box wrench for (Elite / Ranger Delta /Trailhead) 13mm and (Alpha / Alpha II) 17mm. Some of the Tuff Stuff® roof top tents can be loaded and unloaded by 2-3 people. The first time you mount the tent on your vehicle, it will take less than 45 minutes and once you get the hang of it, less than 20 minutes.
Can the tents be mounted on a pickup truck bed?All Overland tents require a Tent Rack to mount the tent brackets. Tuff Stuff® Overland has a universal bracket system that will mount to the sides of your truck bed using pinch plates.. They come in two (2) sizes for various vehicles.
Is mounting hardware included?Yes, mounting brackets are included with any purchase of a rooftop tent. The brackets are different for the ALPHA and ALPHA II tents.
Where can I get a Tuff Stuff tent in the US?If you live in the United States, you can place an order on our website with free delivery within the contiguous United States.
Delivery: We can have your roof top tent delivered to your doorstep for free shipping.
Dealer: In the U.S we also have a network of dealers that you can go to for professional advice, questions, and installation.
I found a Tuff Stuff tent for much cheaper on a different website.
Buyer Beware! Several online shops (mostly of non U.S. origin), which often place ads on Facebook and Instagram claim heavily discounted prices but are not our tents.
- If you are in doubt about the validity of a website that claims to sell Tuff Stuff® Overland products, check Tuff Stuff® Overland's list of authorized dealers and distributors.
- If you still have doubts or want additional information, please contact the Tuff Stuff® Overland support team via Chat or our Contact form at the footer of our website.
What kind of rack / crossbars do I need?
With their universal mounting system, Tuff Stuff® Overland roof top tents can be mounted on most vehicles on the market. They are designed to be mounted on two normal crossbars (not directly on the roof of the car), the same bars you would attach your bike or kayak to.
- Check your vehicle's manual or contact the manufacturer to know your roof's dynamic weight limit is and match up to the weight of the tent.<br>
- Make sure your roof rack or cross bars have a dynamic weight load of at least:
-Trailhead 110 Lbs
-Ranger 154 Lbs
-Delta 140 Lbs
-Elite 185 Lbs
-Alpha 176 Lbs
-Alpha II 152 Lbs
- Your crossbars should be at least 30"apart, with a maximum distance of 60"
- Check the spacing of the mounting rails
- Our roof top tents are designed to fit on most vehicles with roof racks. The general rule of thumb is to make sure that your rack has a Dynamic Weight Capacity of at least the weight of the tent. This is the weight that the rack can physically carry while the vehicle is in motion. When the tent is in use, the weight of the tent plus the weight of its occupants is effectively dispersed over the entire frame of the vehicle, as well as the tent hinge and ladder, also known as the Static Weight Capacity.
-Trailhead Max Capacity 800 Lbs
-Ranger Max Capacity 660 Lbs
-Delta Max Capacity 660 Lbs
-Elite Max Capacity 880 Lbs
-Alpha Max Capacity 1100 Lbs
-Alpha II Max Capacity 900 Lb
- Our stock mounting hardware will fit rack bars with a cross-section of 3.25" width x 1.5" height. Be sure to mount the racks on your vehicle 24"-40" apart for our 2-person tents, 32"-48" apart for our 3-person tents, and 44";-60"; apart for our 4-person tents.
What are the general maintenance guidelines?
When you return home from overlanding or camping, you should clean and dry your tent. Also, wash the mattress and cover occasionally (only hang dry the mattress). Read the basic maintenance guides below.
How should I clean my tent?
- Open the tent fully and brush with a hard brush / vacuum all dirt from inside of tent
- Use a mild detergent only. The mixture is about 1 cup of Lysol all-purpose cleaner to 1 gallon of hot water. Allow the water to cool down a bit and with warm water and a soft to medium brush to clean the fabric as needed.
- Once done cleaning, rinse fabric with warm or cool water of all detergent prior to drying.
- Let it dry under the sun with all windows open. It is important that the tent is completely dry before storage or mildew and mold may occur. This is especially necessary after camping in rain or wet conditions.
- Using a small brush, remove dirt from the zippers. Also, use a silicon spray to keep them lubricated.
- The tents come with a comfortable mattress; it includes a washable cover, so you will not need an air mattress or a cover sheet for it.
How do I care for Mold and Mildew:
Please note that if moisture or humidity is trapped in the canvas material for a length of time, mold and mildew will start to form. If mold or mildew starts it will stain the canvas and produce a bad odors.
Don't let it even start. Never put your tent away damp.
In order to handle mold properly, follow these steps:
1. Open the tent up and brush the affected area with a hard bristled brush to get and loose dirt off.
2. Using a Lysol solution of (1 cup Lysol to 1 gallon water), wash the canvas using a sponge and the bristled brush.
3. Rinse the tent off with a solution of - 1 cup lemon juice, 1 cup sea salt, 1 gallon hot water.
4. Once the Lysol solution has been properly washed out, let the tent dry outside for a few hours and feel the tent canvas to make sure it is completely dry.
IMPORTANT NOTE The tent must be completely dry before you close it up and store the tent.